Friday, March 27, 2009

Hair

"Hair" at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre, March 26, 2009

I went to see Hair last nighzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.









Oh, sorry.

I was really excited, having heard all the buzz from the production at the Delacorte last summer. I'll admit, I was slightly concerned about how this show about liberation and self-expression which sounded so well-suited for that outdoor venue, might translate into a traditional proscenium venue.

I didn't love it.

I know, I know! It's *Hair*!!

I was generally non-plussed by the whole affair. From Will Swenson's Billy Crudup imitation as Berger, to Gavin Creel's foretold and inevitable Claude caving in to family pressure, I never saw the reason for all the hype.

That's not to say there were no bright spots, just not many of them. Caissie Levy's angry "Easy to Be Hard," the "Black Boys/White Boys" combo, and "Good Morning Starshine" were among the few. Megan Lawrence, however, was terrific as Claude's mother

I struggled with the staging which put most of the early action literally in the front row, blocked from sight by anyone sitting past the front mezzanine. Then, seven songs later, the cast finally appeared to notice there was a mezzanine, and kept trouping up again and again through the rest of the show. I have no problem with breaking the fourth wall, but please have a reason for it other than just being able to.

I was only a child in the 60s (I know, I know!), but what I saw last night was merely a caricature of what the hippies were. This crowd were all too clean and healthy looking to be an accurate representation.

The orchestra was excellent and Kevin Adams (Spring Awakening) certainly knows how to light a rock concert. I'd like to see him take on a different style sometime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kevin adams won a tony for the 39 steps, a very different style of lighting design.