Tuesday, February 05, 2008

OK, I'll Play Too!

I've seen lots of blogs post various "memes" but never found any of them particularly interesting. Naturally, that has changed with one I just saw at "Steve on Broadway."

Here's my two cents':

1. The first musical I ever saw on Broadway was (or if you haven’t seen a musical on Broadway): La Cage Aux Folles - It was late in the run with Keene Curtis as Albin and Peter Marshall as Georges. The costumes were tattered and torn, the Cagelles sloppy and seedy - - I was instantly hooked!

2. The musical I would most like to see again is: I have to say that The Light in the Piazza was one of the most complete experiences I've had at the theatre.

3. The musical I never want to see again is: Brooklyn - ugh! I'll never get those 90 minutes of my life back.

4. The best performance in a Broadway musical by a woman I’ve ever seen is: This is a tough one.
  • Victoria Clark in The Light in the Piazza
  • Christine Ebersole in Grey Gardens
5. The best performance in a Broadway musical by a man I’ve ever seen is: John Gallagher in Spring Awakening

6. The person I wish they never cast was: Christian Borle in Legally Blonde - what a waste of talent.

7. The person they should have cast was: Norbert Leo Butz in Young Frankenstein - what a missed opportunity.

8. My favorite Broadway choreography was in the show: Crazy for You

9. The lyric/line that always brings a lump to my throat is: From Miss Saigon, Chris sings in his confession to Ellen: "I just wanted to save and protect her. Christ, I'm an American! How can I fail to do good?"

10. The stupidest lyric/line I’ve ever heard is: Anything from Brooklyn.

11. The first musical I had to go back and see twice was: Les Miserables

12. The first musical I ever walked out of was: It would have been Brooklyn, had there been an intermission. That didn't stop others from doing so.

13. The most under praised and overly deserving show in my opinion is: A tie here for David Yazbek's The Full Monty (overshadowed by The Producers) and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (overshadowed by Spamalot).

14. The most overly praised and under deserving show in my opinion is: Wicked - great production values, a cleverly adapted book, but what a dreadful score.

15. The song show tune I’m most likely to sing while I’m dancing around at home is: Another VERY long list - highlights:
  • Love to Me - Light in the Piazza
  • All the Things You Are - Very Warm for May
  • Modern Major General - Pirates of Penzance
  • Master of the House - Les Miserables
16. If I could recast any role in a current Broadway musical with a performer of the past it would be: This doesn't quite fit the caption, but I always thought that Judy Garland would have made the most amazing Mama Rose. Ever.

17. If I could recast a current actor in a Broadway musical that was before their time it would be: Isn't that what revivals are for? I did think that Julie Andrews would have made a terrific Norma Desmond had the timing on all that been different, particularly a film version of the musical.

18. The show they should never change a word of because it is already perfect is: Gypsy

19. The show I'd most like to get my hands on and rewrite is: Edward Scissorhands - it's been filmed and presented as dance, but Edward needs to sing!

20. The role I was born to play on Broadway is: There are so many! Luther Billis in South Pacific (it's still not too late, Lincoln Center - call me!). Frederick in A Little Night Music, Uncle Max in The Sound of Music. Amos Hart in Chicago (I'm available, Fran and Barry).

1 comment:

Esther said...

I'm with you all the way on Les Miserables and I loved John Gallagher Jr. in Spring Awakening, but I have to respectfully disagree about Wicked. I love the score.

I saw Les Miserables on tour in Syracuse many years ago, and I loved the whole spectacle. Even in the years when I never went to see another musical, I was still listening to the score.

And I forgot to add "Do You Hear the People Sing" to the list of tunes I like to sing in private!